You know you need a blog for your little company but you don’t know where to start. It can be a frustrating feeling to do something you’ve never done before. The good news is that starting a business blog is easier than you think. Here are six tips to help you get rolling:
1. Identify your expertise/focus: What types of products or services do you provide for your customers? If you have a boutique clothing shop, share some of your knowledge of how to dress for the seasons or how to put together a cute outfit for a cousin’s wedding. If you’re a doctor and have your own practice, you can focus on tips to deal with the flu season and how to eat healthy. Do you run a martial arts school? Provide tips you've gained through your expertise and make that the overall focus of your blog. Your goal should always be to create value for your customers and potential customers.
2. Research: It's important to verify any facts you're sharing in your blog post. If you're a basketball tips blog, don't share incorrect dates of that last NBA Finals or say that LeBron James is 6'3" (even though he's not). Doing your research will help you avoid any embarrassing blog posts and maintain your post as an industry expert.
3. Create a format: This blog post is an example of a 'list' blog post. It has six points to help you understand where to start when starting a business blog. There are different formats you can follow such as an 'infographic' post or a 'why' post.
4. Art work: Using quality images will help you effectively communicate your ideas and objectives. Make your images count and don't overdo it. Keep your blog posts pro and simple.
5. Publish: Once you've finished writing a blog post, you can either publish it and make it live or schedule it for later that week. It's really up to you and when your audience/customers are most active on the world wide web.
6. Share: When your blog post is live, start sharing with through all of your social channels whether it's Facebook or Twitter! What good is a blog post if you don't share it with anyone? By sharing your knowledge, you will always be able to provide value.
Do you have any questions about what you need to do next for your business blog? Share with us in the comments below!