Customers are the backbone of every business. Yes, you came up with the product, you came up with the name, you were the mastermind behind it all. But the most important person in your business is not you. No matter how great your product is, or how great YOU are, the customer is what made you a success, and s/he is ultimately the most important person. They believed in you and your product and put their money on the line for you. That's more than some of your own family can even say. For this reason, it's incredibly important for you to show your genuine appreciation for the love and support they show your business.
You might be asking why it would make a difference to thank your customers. Aside from it being the nice thing to do, It's actually an extremely simple and genius (and free) customer retention tool. The more a customer feels appreciated, the stronger their connection to your brand will become, making them staunch brand ambassadors. This also creates an air of personalization, which can give you a leg up on major corporations who treat their customers as statistics, creating a stellar customer experience. Showing your genuine appreciation for your customers may just give you the edge you need to grow your brand.
Now that we've talked about why it's important to give back to your customers, let's talk about a few ways you can put it into action:
- Send a handwritten note: It may seem old fashioned, but you'd be surprised just how far an actual handwritten note can go. It's personal, and the effort you made to thank them individually will not go unnoticed.
- Send gifts: If your budget allows, set aside some money to gift your most loyal customers. Learn about them, their goals, their families, their favorite color, everything you can! Send them a gift that you know they'll appreciate in some way. It doesn't have to be major, just enough to show you truly care about and listen to them.
- Host customer appreciation events: People love to party. Host an event with relevant giveaways, activities and (of course) snacks. Show your customers a good time, and have a good time with them!
- Start a loyalty program: Set up a program that rewards customers for shopping with you. Once they buy a certain amount, or visit a certain amount, you reward them with freebies or special discounts. It shows you want them back and appreciate them coming back!
- Post on social media: Just a simple "Thank you for your service, we appreciate you," can go a long way. Create a meaningful post detailing your legitimate gratitude. The genuine feelings of thanks will make your customers feel happy and appreciated. Use social media to connect with your customers on a deeper level.
It's a simple process: Show your customers you love them, and they'll love you right back. In what ways have companies showed you appreciation? Let us know in the comments!