What's content marketing? Content marketing is a way for businesses to increase sales by creating content that's valuable for the ideal customer. Content is produced on a consistent basis and is often shared through social channels, newsletters, and other distribution methods.
When you're starting your content strategy for the first time, it can seem overwhelming but it doesn't have to be. These tips will be valuable if you're new to the game. If you're already on the content marketing train, the six tips below will help you attract more customers and increase sales.
- Clarify your goals: What do you hope to accomplish by creating content? If you don't know what your goals are, you should not start committing time and resources to content creation. You need to establish a clear direction and know what you want to achieve. Some of the goals might include increasing brand awareness, increasing online sales, and improving trust with customers. Take time, sit down with your team, and nail down your objectives. You'll be able to make real progress when you know where you're heading.
- Know your audience: You can't create the content that will help you achieve your goals if you don't know your audience. Who are you trying to reach and connect with? Where do they go for information to help them solve their problems? What are their demographics? Your content should establish you as the expert and the trustworthy source your target audience can rely on.
- Research: How can you become a reliable, trustworthy source for your target audience? You take the time research the best practices, tips, and trends that affect your ideal customer. Study what your competitors are doing. Stay on top of the problems your customers are trying to solve. Do you have a hiking equipment company? Produce content that will help your customers get the most out their next adventure. Do you have a restaurant? Produce a graphic that shows the top condiments that pair with your sandwiches.
- Create: After you've done your research, get busy and start creating. Your research should have told you if you should spend time on creating blog posts or focus more on videos. Your research will let you know what to produce and what you should create to provide value to your customers. Always have your customers in mind when creating content. Taking the steps towards creating content is all you need to gain momentum.
- Distribution: It doesn't matter if you've created the best content in the world if you don't share it. You have to distribute your content. Where do your customers prefer to go for information? Which methods do they trust? Depending on your target audience, the distribution channels might include Twitter, newsletters, or Pinterest. Once you nail your distribution channels, create a publishing schedule and get the ball rolling. Start sharing your content on a regular basis. By sticking to a regular schedule, your followers will be able to count on your brand for critical information they need to solve their problems.
- Execution is everything: You have now read five tips that will help you with your content marketing game plan. None of your reading on marketing best practices matters if you don't execute. Don't wait until your publishing schedule is absolutely perfect. Start creating and you'll be one step closer to nailing down what types content work for your business. As you begin to publish and share content, you'll find out what's working for your brand. Use the data you gather from your website and social media platforms to find out what's working and what isn't.
Remember that content marketing takes time. It might take two weeks. It might take four months to gain any traction. When executed properly, content marketing can be significantly more effective than paid ads and will help you gain the trust you need to build a lasting brand. Focus on building a relationship with your customers and your business will always thrive.
Do you have any questions about what content marketing can do for your business? Email Josh at email@example.com.