For the uninitiated, Instagram is a social media platform that allows anyone with an Instagram account to post pictures and videos while giving them the opportunity to engage with friends, family, Instagram celebrities, and brands. The Facebook-owned app can only be used to its full capacity on mobile and has more than 800 million users. Now that you have a basic idea of what Instagram is, let's proceed:
One of the questions we are asked regarding Instagram is what should I post to my story and what should I post on my feed. This is a common question so if you're wondering what the answer is, don't be embarrassed.
The approach you should take to your story is "What happens in a day of the life of me". Stories don't last forever on your Instagram story unless you want to save them. Take the vlog approach where you record the flow of your day and your random thoughts that enter your mind. A simple chain of events you could add to your story would be as follows:
- Picture of your breakfast...add a little note of how it makes you feel
- Boomerang of your favorite co-worker dancing at the office
- Video of your lunch completed with a location tag
- Screenshot of a quote you came across while on your phone at your desk
- Picture of your favorite soda that you drink every afternoon
- Picture of you and your BFF getting together for dinner with a location tag
- Boomerang of you at the gym getting swole
- A final picture of the day of you finally in bed
If you're a business, what you share on your Instagram story will be different. Here are a few ideas of what you can share to your Instagram story as a brand:
- Discounts and current sales
- Announcements of new products or services
- A sneak peak into a new clothing line
- Run a poll on customer preferences
- Behind-the-scenes pictures and videos of your factory/restaurant
Instagram Stories capture the little moments of your day. They don't need to be absolutely perfect and should give your followers a glimpse into what goes on in your world.
Your Instagram feed requires a different approach in a sense that posts are permanent until they are deleted from your feed. If you're an influencer or a one-man-shop that provides a service such as athletic training, your feed should focus on polished, planned images and videos. Planning photos and captions ahead of time will always work in your favor. You'll be able to post images that are consistent with your brand that your followers have grown to love. A few examples of people who do a great job are:
If you're running an Instagram account for a store or a restaurant, your approach will be different from an influencer's approach. Post well-lit product shots if you're selling a tangible item such as clothing, hardware, and food. If you can have models posing in the image, you'll get even better engagement.
Do you have any other questions about what you should post on your Instagram feed or your Instagram story? Leave a comment below or email Josh at firstname.lastname@example.org.